Pages

Monday, September 27, 2010

Craftiness

I would first like to say that my level of craftiness is that of a one eyed toddler with a hook for a hand and an inner ear infection. I try lots of things. Ever since I picked up my first pair of scissors I've loved to try creating things with paper and glue and bits of things. It never turns out like the picture on the box. And the image in my mind is always so much cooler than I can produce. But I enjoy it anyway.
Since taking an interest in homesteading my craft interest have turned to the practical. I took up crocheting and am about halfway through an 8-bit Mario afghan made from granny squares (instructions originally found
Today was "Let's clean your room and see what crawls out from under your bed to eat us" Day. The boys and I set out to get their room in better order. It looked like a laundry basket and a toy box had gone to war and neither one was victorious. 30 minutes in and half of the room is done, with the dirty laundry removed, the toys in containers and the trash picked up. This cleanup reminded me that the carpet in their room had to be removed due to water and we've not replaced it. They have a concrete floor. Not cool. So, I did a little Google-fu and discovered rag rugs.
Rag rugs are an old method for crafting a rug from fabric leftovers. You take strips of fabric and either braid, weave or crochet (or knit) them together into the shape you desire. As it turns out I have plenty of clothes that don't fit either kiddo and that are in no shape to pass along, plus a fair amount of fabric in my craft bin that I can use up. So, pretty soon I'll have a half made braided rag rug to put next to my half crocheted afghan!
here . and warning, if you love crafty things and already have way too many projects and ideas, don't go there. Instructables is amazing!) I'd probably be farther along, but that's a LOT of squares, and 2 boys just don't allow for that much time sitting still and focusing on something other than them.

No comments:

Post a Comment